Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Weaving with Handspun

The other day, I posed about the custom stand that my husband built for my Ashford Rigid Heddle loom. Now, here's what  I've got weaving.....a handspun houndstooth scarf.

There's something to be said for knitting and weaving with your own handspun. It absolutely tickles me pink that I've created a yarn that I will then use to create a finished garment.

In this instance, I have some leftover handspun that I called "Tweed Spice" from my Hiker's Waistcoast. There's quite a bit left -- not enough to make another sweater, but certainly a lot more than just a hat. It's a lovely merino/silk blend that reminds me of the color of my tabby cats. And it was a pleasure to knit with it.


So, I decided to combine it with commercial yarn (Cascade Venezia Worsted) to make a houndstooth scarf using my Ashford Rigid Heddle Loom.


I know from weaving my Zippered Pouch that the merino and silk would give me a beautiful drape, even with a thicker yarn than the sport weight, especially once it's been washed and fulled.


Right now, it's a bit slow going as I warped quite a bit, and I only have a few moments here & there to spare for weaving. But it's coming out rather nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment